Thursday, January 15, 2015

Opening up about Tourrette's - part 1

It has been over a year since I posted on my blog. I really need to blog more and FB less. We hit a big milestone with B. It was finally time to inform his peers what Tourette's is....

Last Friday B came home very upset. He got in trouble in class and had to move his clip down (behavior chart in the classroom) for the first time this year. He was upset because of why and when he told me, I held him on my lap and cried with him.
His tourrette's ticks are getting worse. He does them more often and is having a harder time supressing them. He cannot even make through a prayer with out doing several of his ticks which cause pauses in his speech. It just breaks my heart. We have an appointment to talk to his doctor about it again.
What happened on Friday was; he was standing in line waiting to go back in to the classroom at the end of recess and his throat tick was happening. It sounds like a little frog sound or burp (the burp when your moth is closed) and the girl in front of him raised her hand and told the assistant teacher that B was burping. The teacher told B to stop. He couldn't stop but didn't know what to say. So the girl tattled on him again. The teacher scolded him in front of everyone and then made him move his clip down. When he feels upset (or excited, or tired, or stressed) his ticks escalate. Thankfully, right after recess he had to go to speech. It was just the speech therapist and him, she knows about his tourette's and was able to calm him. By the time he came back from speech, the tick had quieted.

I went in on Monday morning and talked to the teachers. I found out that B's teacher forgot to tell the new assistant (she has only been there for a couple months) that B has tourrette's. They both felt TERRIBLE when I told them what happened. The assistant asked me, "Then what do I do? If one child gets tattled on for "burping" but doesn't get reprimanded, then before I know it they all think they can burp and are doing it on purpose and I have no control." I told her I understood her valid point. I suggested that I come in and talk to the class about tourrette's.

So this morning, the soonest everyone could do it, both 3rd grade classrooms and the principal all met together first thing in one of the classrooms. I took ten minutes and talked to the kids about tourrette's. I think it went very well except the part where I started to cry in front of everyone and the principal had to hand me a tissue. The kids were all so sweet and understanding!

This is just one more chapter in B's young but eventful life. My heart aches for him when I think of all he has been through and all he will continue to endure for the rest of his life. My heart also rejoices when I see what an amazing, talented, and capable sweet boy he is. He is a fighter, he doesn't let his limitations define him or limit him! He is amazing at sports, extremely smart student, talented at piano, liked by everyone, a good friend and a sweet boy. He is fearless and will try things with a "can do" attitude and will keep trying until he figures it out. He is not easily discouraged, but he also has a soft heart and is easily hurt sometimes. He is one of the most compassionate and caring children I have ever met. He will cry if someone else is crying. He will stop playing football at recess just to help a younger student tie their shoes. He prays for his family members and his friends. He is truly remarkable. All of our children are. B just has to overcome the most to be remarkable. I do not think I would have the strength if I were in his shoes. He teaches me so much. I love him more than words could ever say. I love all of our children more than words ever could say. (yes, I am crying right now, my heart is so full!)

No comments:

Post a Comment